Uniform Guide and Dress Code
The Tiferes Bais Yaakov uniform consists of the black uniform skirt, the blue uniform shirt, the grey uniform sweater or vest and/or black uniform sweatshirt and solid coloured black tights. The skirt must be the proper length, and the shirt must be properly buttoned up at all times.
- A black or white t-shirt may be worn underneath the uniform blouse. No other colour t-shirt may be worn. Please note that even if a student is wearing a t-shirt, the uniform blouse must be buttoned up properly at all times!
- The blue uniform blouse may be worn as is, or with the sweater, vest or sweatshirt and need not be tucked in.
- The blouse must be properly buttoned up.
- The uniform sweater or sweatshirt may not be worn without the blue uniform blouse, and no other sweaters or jackets are allowed in school.
- Every student is required to own a school sweater. The sweatshirt is optional.
- The skirts must be of a proper length that the knees are well covered at all times – whether standing, sitting, or running.
- Slippers, crocs and sandals are not acceptable footwear.
- Hats may not be worn in school.
- Leggings with short ankle socks or with knee socks are not permitted in school. Knee socks are not permitted in school.
- Students wearing leggings with ankle socks or knee socks or wearing just knee socks will be required to purchase tights from the school.
Adherence to the school uniform policy will be strictly enforced. Under no circumstances will a girl be allowed to attend school if she is not wearing the correct uniform. To avoid the unpleasantness of your daughter being sent home or being asked to rent a uniform from school, every student will be required to purchase a minimum of 2 shirts and 2 skirts. (The excuse of uniforms being in the laundry is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.) Four uniform infractions of any kind in one month will result in a detention.
Rosh Chodesh is traditionally a Yom Tov for women, and therefore students are excused from wearing the uniform shirt, provided that the shirt they choose conforms to the acceptable dress code. Clothing should be consistent with the spirit of Rosh Chodesh, therefore, shirts or sweatshirts with logos across the front or back are not permitted to be worn.
A Jewish girl or woman should be distinguished by her dress and carriage. Students should avoid clothing that is questionable or borderline. We educate our students to be sensitive to Tznius in the broadest sense. A student whose dress or grooming in school is not consistent with these sensitivities may be asked to change. A girl who wears inappropriate dress in public, and continues this practice after due attempts at discussion and then proper warning, will be asked to leave the school. In all such cases, the discretion of the Administration will be followed.
Torah education is a partnership of parents and the school. The communication of tznius standards will be done in the most respectful manner possible. In return we expect parents to ensure that their daughter complies with the dress code, outlined below, in and out of school.
Uniform sweatshirts are optional and are sold through the Mother’s Association during the school year for $35. Sample sizes are available at the school. Please print and fill out the form and remit it with your payment.
To donate uniforms or for more information about the Gemach please call the school office.
One of the hallmarks of a Jewish Woman is her modesty of dress. A Bas Yisrael must always conduct herself with a degree of dignity, which should be reflected not only in her general conduct, but also in her style of dress in and out of school. We expect the students of Tiferes Bais Yaakov to reflect the highest standards of modesty at all times in and out of school.
- Tops should not be clingy or tight fitting, and the sleeves must extend below the elbow at all times.
- Necklines should be appropriate and hug the neck at the base.
- The top button on shirts may be left open only if the collarbone will not be exposed.
- No V-necks or boat necks of any sort are to be worn without a layer underneath.
- Skirts must be long enough so that the knees are covered even when sitting, and should not be clingy or tight fitting. Slits are unacceptable. Students must wear stockings, tights, knee high hose or knee socks, making sure that her legs are covered.
- In general, cosmetics and hairstyles should not be ostentatious, but rather subtle. In school, however, cosmetics, (including nail polish of any colour) are unacceptable.
- Multi-coloured, streaked or ombre hair is not permitted.
- As well, excessive jewellery is not acceptable and multiple ear piercings are not permitted.
- Accessories must be within the realm of tznius, subject to the discretion of faculty and administration.